Tuesday, March 4, 2014

To Change Directions

Before I tackle commentary on my year's direction in birding, I must first address my recent bird adventures.  Finishing some data entry work, took me, again, to Tucson where I was excited to check on some local bird hot spots.  Upon Arriving at Reid Park, I was greeted by the presence of two Black-crowned Night Herons which I seldom see so out in the open.

Pictured:  One such heron spelling curses unto the artificial duck pond.





Also present were a Cooper's Hawk, plenty of Verdins, and a Summer Tanager.



At last, I moved on to a favorite location, Sweetwater Wetlands.  Although the water levels were low, there were still plenty of birds to be found.  As I was about to leave, I decided to do one more little walk-around which paid off greatly as I saw a Black and White Warbler foraging with its endearing trunk-clinging behavior.  As a particularly large fan of nuthatches, woodpeckers, and creepers, seeing a warbler displaying this similar behavior was a real treat.  Here's the sharp looking bird:





Now I'm back in Silver City where I completed my collection of bluebird pictures with a Mountain Bluebird.  Though it is the Western Bluebirds, the bird with the rusty breast, that I see more commonly in this pinyon-juniper habitat.


It is also here in Silver City, where I was unexpectedly offered an opportunity to work on breeding bird surveys around the Lower Colorado River.  I've now been spending much of my time quizzing myself on bird vocalizations of that area and just being generally excited about it.  With the addition of this job, most of the rest of the year will be filled with field work, and though I plan to update my bird picture inventory, the biking for birds adventures will have to be revisited another year.  My preparation for this year could certainly be improved upon.  Where I was relearning web-design and figuring out my gear this year, next time I will be able to focus my concentration on route-planning and putting in some miles beforehand.  My first jaunt on the bike, a cold 80-miles on a heavily packed mtn bike, was a bit of a shock.  The biggest obstacle, however, maybe remedied along a well-planned route, was the lack of companionship.  The next time I hop on my bike with my binoculars, I hope to have a friend riding along with me.  Take care all.  :)

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with the job! I still hope you find the time to get out and enjoy the birding. I've enjoyed reading your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chris I surely will! I've enjoyed your pictures and reading of your adventures as well.

    ReplyDelete